Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Creatively Featured - Natasha May


Hi Everyone! Today we have an interview with Natasha May. I have been enchanted with her gorgeous girls and use of bright colors. She has some great video tutorials on her blog if you want to pop over and check them out.

You can find her at:
Etsy


Tell us about blogging and how it's worked for you.

I've been blogging since September 2008. First I didn't know what to do with a blog because I wasn't a person that kept a diary. But then I started making handmade greeting cards and blogging was one way of showing them off. I joined in with different challenges and met all these wonderful people. 

Then I discovered the world of whimsy. :) I created another blog in May 2009, more artistic one, and have been blogging about my art ever since. 

It's just a wonderful community to connect with kindred spirits and I find everyone so supportive. It has definitely broaden my horizon and inspired me to make art in the first place.

How did you discover your favorite art medium?

I've discovered my medium through on-line workshops. I was pretty addicted to them for a while. :) There were so many different techniques to learn and supplies to use and through time I figured out what works for me and what doesn't. I love acrylics, india ink pens and watercolor pencils right now. But it's an on going process and I never say never. I bet I'm going to change my technique and media in the future.

What inspires or influences you artistically?

This is a tough one to answer because I draw whimsical girls. I can't really say I look at the woods and get inspired to draw a girl. :)) But I do get inspired by colors. I love bright happy colors. And since I'm trading my ATC's on ATCs For All forum I get challenged to draw things I'd never think of drawing before. Either by joining a swap or being asked to do a personal trade.

Have you exhibited work or taught classes?

I have had one exhibition so far. I would love to exhibit more in the future but right now I'm in the middle of changing up my style and I don't have a coherent work to show. And I have a problem with keeping my paintings. :) I find that if I have too many paintings at home, my muse feels crowded and goes on vacation. :) That's why I put my paintings up for sale as soon as I finish them.

And I launched my very first on-line workshop Cotton Candy Girls in May this year. This was a year long project in the making and I was so proud of myself to see it through. I have a tendency to chicken out because of these little mean voices in my head saying "who do you think you are?". :) I guess I have overcome the fear of being judged and simply put myself out there and hoped for the best. And I must say it has been a great experience so far.

Do you work to a design or theme or just go with the flow…or something else entirely?

A little bit of both. It depends what inspired the process in the first place. If I envision it in my head how I want the painting to look like then I sketch and start painting. But it can change in the middle of it. I might make a mistake or something doesn't work the way I thought it would then I take a different path. But if I get inspired by lets say a feeling or a song then I start painting with no end result in mind and I let the painting lead its way to the end.

What artistic plans do you have for the coming year? 

My plan for this year is to have another on-line workshop but I'm open to suggestions so anything is possible. :)

15 comments:

  1. It's great to get to know you Natasha. I just recently joined ATCs for All after participating in Artists in Blogland's first ATC swap. Amazing miniature art on the site.
    Stay inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful interview. I have long admired Natasha's work. I'm going to check out ATC's for all as I loved participating in AIB's swap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for a great interview! Pure Bliss = Purely Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview!!! Your the best!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ¡Estupenda entrevista! Natasha tiene un arte entrañable. Saludos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all Natasha' work. Fab interview.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great interview Natasha. I love all your work, your enthusiasm, which is infectious and your unique blogging style which is always positive and witty, even when you are having a moan!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had always loved your work Natasha...Nice to know more about artistic journey.
    Glad that I am back after a break to see these wonderful art:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hooray! What a lovely interview! I am happy to say I got to trade for a couple of Natasha's cards at atcsforall.com. She has a lovely, whimsical style and that's such a great story about the online workshop. (I have to go look now!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really lovely colors, great compositions, I really like.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love all Natasha's stuff, this is a great interview- getting to know you better too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely to see you here, Natasha, I love your beautiful art and treasure my Alice in Wonderland. It's great to hear how your creativity has developed over time and how you don't let your fear get in the way. I love what you are doing and I'm off to check out your courses :)

    ReplyDelete